Life on the road doesn’t mean you can’t live a healthy lifestyle. Don’t get me wrong I love a pub lunch as much as the next camper – but having one every night can become a bit tiresome. Travelling gives you the perfect opportunity to try new recipes and ingredients! Whether you want to try your hand at the local dish or looking to experiment with something new – if there is a kitchen you can make anything. A Denby VW Campervan comes with a fully equipped kitchen, so there is no excuse to not give it ago. Cooking gives you personal satisfaction at seeing your creation come to life and if you add that to the scenic surroundings of your campsite it’s even better. Here are a few quick and easy recipes to try when on the road.
Try these Simple Recipes in Your VW Campervan
Start the day with a healthy breakfast – the perfect fuel for a day exploring. These breakfast burritos pack a little punch to wake you up and get you raring to go.
- Tsp Olive Oil
- Half Red Onion
- 1 Pepper
- 1 can of Black Beans (Drained and rinsed)
- 6 eggs
- Half a cup of grated cheese
- 2 tortillas
- Sour cream
- 1 Tomato (diced)
- 1 Avocado
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat – Throw in the onions and peppers and cook until soft (7 minutes). Add the black beans and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and place in a separate dish for now.
- Whisk the eggs and throw in the cheese and mix. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and scramble the eggs until cooked. Spread the salsa and sour cream into the tortillas and top with the eggs, beans/ peppers/ onion mix and the chopped avocado.
- Roll the tortillas into a burrito and get stuck in! For extra flavour add a few chilli flakes or serve with Chipotle or Tabasco sauce.
Classic and simple Chili con carne – packed full of flavour and can be cooked in less than half an hour. Ideal as a quick lunch or dinner after a day out – there may even be enough for leftovers.
- Tsp Olive Oil
- 750g Beef Mince
- 2 Onions (Diced)
- 2 Peppers (Diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Crushed or diced)
- 1 Red Chilli (Chopped & de-seeded for a milder taste)
- 2 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 400g can of Kidney Beans
- Topping choices – Rice, Jalapeno, Sour Cream, Coriander, Cheese, Salsa, Tortilla Chips.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When hot add the mince and break up and stir until brown. Add and mix in the peppers, onions, garlic, chilli and cook for a further 5 minutes, then add the chilli powder.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and bring to boil and then reduce to a medium/ low heat. Simmer until sauce is nice and thick.
- Add the beans and increase the heat back to medium. Then serve with the toppings of your choice.
The ultimate camper and VW campervan meal whether you’re an inexperienced chef or a master. Who doesn’t love a bit of pasta? – so a recipe guide wouldn’t be complete without this much-loved classic.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Chicken Breasts, (Sliced into strips)
- 2 tbsp Garlic, (Chopped)
- Salt and Pepper
- 3/4 cup thick Cream
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Pesto
- Penne pasta (Cook before you start)
- Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- Fresh Basil, (Chopped)
- Heat the oil in a pan over high heat. Add the garlic, chicken, salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until there is no pink. Then stir in the thick cream, parmesan and pesto until combined. Bring the mixture to boil and cook until the sauce has reduced.
- Add the pasta and cherry tomatoes, stirring until everything is evenly mixed
- Add any remaining parmesan and basil on top to serve.
Speak to Denby for more Advice about a VW Campervan
If you’re ready to start a life on the road, cooking in plenty of wonderful places and trying local recipes. You need a vehicle to get you there. That’s where one of Denby’s VW Campervans comes in! Our VW Campers when fitted with a Balmoral conversion package come with a fully functioning kitchen unit – perfect for any of the recipes listed above.
If you’d like to know more about our VW Campervans for sale or the finance packages available, please speak to a member of the Denby team today. We’ll point you in the right direction of the perfect vehicle based on your criteria.